5 - 7 years experience • Energy & Environmental Services
The statistician will work with prediction agriculture teams to lead the discovery of novel methods to solve complex genotype by environment by management crop yield prediction problems. Provides advanced statistical leadership for experimental design and for identifying, developing and applying robust statistical methods to analyze large, highly complex linear and non-linear multivariate data sets generated from a series of experiments conducted to enable prediction of on-farm crop yields. The statistician will be a key member of scientific teams, comprised of specialists from multiple scientific, informatics and engineering disciplines, undertaking research that will lead to development of robust prediction methods for applications in prediction agriculture.
- Provides leadership for the correct design of multiple series of experiments and data collection practices to achieve the required statistical power to realize prediction agriculture project goals. Critically involved in the development and communication of experimental protocols.
- Provides leadership for the definition and application of appropriate statistical methods for analysis of complex multivariate data sets.
- Works with information management specialists to ensure the correct implementation and deployment of statistical methods within internal information management systems.
- Whenever necessary, will undertake research and initiate research collaborations to develop novel statistical methods to design and analyze results obtained from complex series of experiments.
- The position will be based in Johnston, Iowa. As a member of global teams the statistician will work across many locations. Monitors research progress and meets with participating researchers to identify and resolve problems and impacting project timelines and success.
- Remains current on new technology by participating in professional meetings, career development activities and by encouraging others to bring information into research activities.
- Clearly communicates to other team members and Research leadership the correct interpretation of the results obtained from complex series of experiments.
- Recruits, hires, orients, organizes, supervises, and evaluates performance of any additional statisticians added to the team in the future.
- Implements and monitors safe working practices.
- Accountable for research facilities, equipment and other resources.
- May serve on teams appropriate to cross project research initiatives.
- May contribute to scientific publications, conferences and patent applications.
All applicants should have advanced training andexperience in the application of statistical methodology to complex biological problems. PhDdegree instatistics with relevance to applications in predictive biology and a minimum of 2-4years relevant industry relatedexperience. Post-doctoralexperience may serve as industry relatedexperience. Alternatively a Master’sdegree instatistics with relevance to applications in predictive biology or 6-8years relevant industry relatedexperience.
- Should be experienced in the use of the major statistical software packages such as R, ASreml or SAS.
- Experienced with experimental design, applications of mixed model methodology, maximum likelihood, predictive modeling and Bayesian methods to large multi-dimensional data sets.
- Required to have excellent written and spoken communication skills that are necessary for effective local teamwork and participation in and engagement with the international scientific community.
- A good understanding of crop physiology, plant genetics and plant breeding is desired.
- Expected to travel and work at multiple locations.
- Independent programming skills will be a major advantage.