The Product Manager (PdM) in Purchasing and Delivery is a key leader in discovering and delivering new capabilities and customer experiences through enhancements and new products. Partnering with business leadership, you will define the product roadmap and represent the customer experience and business priorities to technical teams who will execute on that vision. It is essential that the product manager understands how product enhancements change customer behavior and the trends that are emerging in the market. You will own socializing the product vision at all levels of the organization, assessing opportunities, and collaborating with development teams. You partner closely with stakeholders to ensure solutions are fully leveraged by the business. A successful Product Manager will be able to lead multiple product efforts simultaneously at various stages of their development in a matrix organization. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Write user stories as part of an Agile project framework that:
• Directly support primary objectives of the project.
• Are appropriate in size for iterative, incremental development.
• Include clear and specific acceptance criteria.
• Take into account dependencies on other stories and/or projects & initiatives.
• Discover known and unmet customer needs and possible feature/functionality concepts that meet those needs.
• Balance priorities across the Purchasing and Delivery portfolio to identify, recommend and prioritize key opportunities between the business units, communicating decisions and trade-offs. Maintain a prioritized backlog for each community of product stakeholders.
• Champion the needs of business teams and stakeholders throughout the development process, ensuring that what is delivered achieves the business value and ROI objectives of the project.
• Gather input from a variety of internal and external sources to define product concepts; respond to the needs of customers throughout the development process; analyze competitors and market trends; evaluate technologies; develop detailed requirements, feature definitions, implementation plans, and internal communications.
• Participate in cross-functional teams during the entire lifecycle of product development, including deployment and post-deployment activities. Proactively identify problems that arise in the project, outline options, recommend solutions, and escalate as needed.
• Identify areas that require customer research and propose research activities to direct supervisor and user experience team.
• Advocate for new initiatives to leadership team; present and secure approval from senior management and other key stakeholders; use data and analytics to support decisions and recommendations.
• Anticipate upstream and downstream impacts of the project, and work with internal business groups to adjust and adapt business tools and practices in order to support new features and functionality.
• Communicate product solutions and benefits to customers and stakeholders; including knowledge transfer and training for on-going management of features.
• Develop supporting business cases, including financial impact and benefits statements, to support feature/functionality concepts, and sell the concepts to internal audiences through persuasive oral and written presentations.
• Become an expert in your product area, and be recognized across the division as someone who has excellent judgment and whose projects have contributed significantly to the success of Macy’s.
• Operate in areas of uncertainty and ambiguity.
• Manage expectations (negotiating appropriately - right people and right time, where necessary) to ensure a common understanding of where, when, and how the optimal prioritization of user stories.
• Advise the business and provide suggestions for Purchasing and Delivery product opportunities based on detailed knowledge of existing data, business objectives and available technology.
• Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business and/or Computer Science, 3+ years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 3-5 years’ experience in one or more of the following areas: product management; agile project/program management; agile software development, or another product ownership role.
• Retail / eCommerce experience strongly preferred.
• Strong analytical, prioritization and negotiating skills.