The Maintenance Manager position is responsible for all machine maintenance, maintenance personnel assignments, maintenance training, and planning coordination. Provides technical leadership to the plant for the successful support and continuous manufacturing of the department’s existing and new manufacturing processes. Ensures that packaging, utilities, material handling, and control systems to produce food products are based on the lowest possible cost. Provides technical expertise to lead the maintenance mechanics in PM programs, safe work practices, and TMOS. All procedures and practices used are grounded in standards, regulations and laws addressing occupational safety (OSHA), building and electrical codes, and food safety and food quality (FDA) in addition to environmental safety (EPA) in accordance with Safe Quality Food (SQF) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises, directs and schedules the daily activities of the maintenance technicians, monitors assigned work orders and preventative maintenance (PMs) work orders
- Manage maintenance performance against plant goals in safety, quality, TMOS, cost, customer service and culture
- Manage and supervise all OSHA compliance training for maintenance technicians
- Provides leadership, direction and training to maintenance technicians for basic maintenance and repairs on conveyors, ovens, mixers, packaging equipment, production equipment, electrical control systems and other related plant systems
- Fully utilizes Asset Life Management (ALM) module to execute the maintenance plan, assign, provide feedback and report on the performance of the maintenance department.
- Records and documents according to procedures, assuring that all equipment documentation is up to date and assures that the documentation of Maintenance Technicians is accurate and complete, PM work orders are correctly completed as scheduled and all documentation supports current SQF audit requirements
- Conducts routine walk-throughs and inspections of production equipment and facilities and provides feedback, concerns and recommendations for improvement to the Plant Manager and Production Manager
- Identify and document the skills, performance opportunities, learning needs, time and attendance of each maintenance mechanic and teaches routinely
- Maintain excellent troubleshooting, mechanical and electrical skills.
- Maintain a high degree of knowledge of motor control circuits, electrical schemes/schematics, and general servo motor controls concepts.
- Exudes a high degree of inter-personal skills and has the ability to work well with everyone
- Provide superior service to internal customers
- Audit selected mechanics
- Follows and enforces standards for food safety and food quality production reflected in SQF as well as the regulations of major vendors and governmental agencies such as OSHA, FDA and EPA and assures associates are consistently trained in these standards and comply with all requirements
Manages maintenance technicians and maintenance planner; is responsible for the general direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units; Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s Degree in Maintenance, Machine Repair, or a related field or equivalent work experience
- Ten years of maintenance related work experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Five years supervisory experience
- Knowledge of electrical controls, mechanical equipment, conveyors, and production or facilities related equipment and the ability to troubleshoot and make repairs
- Blueprint reading and electrical schematic understanding
- General PLC concepts
- Competency in English language (read, write, speak); excellent written, oral, and listening skills. Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Knowledge of regulations of major vendors and governmental agencies such as FDA, OSHA, and EPA
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical information in mathematical and/or narrative form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to facilitate cross-functional teams
- Ability to effectively present information to top management
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, taste, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and color vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level is representative of a production environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.