New York, NY
Industry: Professional, Scientific & Technical Services•
5 - 7 years
Posted 10 days ago
HRGeneralist – NYC – Large downtown firm.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Under the direction and guidance of HR Managers, participates in discreetly, timely and effectively investigating and resolving employee relations issues as they arise.
· Resolves employee relations issues as assigned byHR Managers; identifies and escalates employee relations issues to HR Managers.
· Assumes responsibility for protecting the Firm and minimizing legal risk through education, active participation in HRGeneralists meetings and continuous education on employment law.
· Develops rapport with administrative department managers; acts as consultant by guiding, advising, and assisting them with HR-related matters.
· Develops an understanding of department managers' business unit and employment needs in order to serve as a business partner. Supports manager in updating of and compliance with Firm's diversity plan.
· Assists in various aspects of staff compensation administration, including assisting in or drafting job descriptions according to established guidelines for Manager approval, job matching, obtaining all necessary back-up documentation and market data using compensation Access database to support salary changes, pricing new positions or determining promotions and provide support to HR Managers and department leadership in administration of annual salary increases.
· Assists with leave administration matters that may involve the need for accommodations, return to work plans, or other coordination
· Identifies training needs for departments and, at the direction of the Training team, may assist with preparation and/or delivery of training sessions.
· Works closely with HR Managers and other HRGeneralists to ensure consistency in the interpretation, communication, application and administration of firm policy.
· Conducts reference and background checks; ensures clearance on background checks on applicants prior to extending offers of employment.
· Oversees new hire orientation for NY staff; facilitates training of new hire policies and procedures for firm managers.
· Oversees monitoring of staff attendance administration and records.
· Responds to requests of legal and support staff, providing them with general firm information or directing their requests to the appropriate Administration liaison.
· Contributes to the Firm's Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a "can do" attitude to internal members/departments of the Firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
· Assumes additional responsibility as assigned.
Demonstrated knowledge of human resources principles, policies, practices, issues, laws and regulations, especially as they pertain to employment activities
Demonstrated knowledge of principles and techniques of structured interviewing. Demonstrated knowledge of EEO and affirmative action recruiting guidelines
Good oral and written communications skills, including thorough knowledge of business English, grammar, spelling, and punctuation and ability to compose routine business correspondence
Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with people at all levels, both inside and outside Firm
Proficiency with computer and reporting skills include Microsoft office products and HRIS (PeopleSoft experience, desirable)
Ability to work effectively with only minimal supervision
Demonstrated experience handling highly sensitive and confidential matters discreetly.
Bachelor's degree with coursework in social sciences, business, human resources, or related subjects.
Minimum 4 years of experience in Human Resources. 2 years in a generalist role preferred.