NHPR is seeking a Director of Finance to lead its finance operations. The ideal candidate is a strategic and analytical thinker comfortable in a hands-on role. He or she will have primary responsibility for planning, managing and controlling the organization’s finance and accounting activities, including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and reporting. This position reports to the Vice President of Operations and Finance.
We are New Hampshire’s independent and trusted source for news and information, and the state’s largest radio news service. Our programming reaches 177,000 weekly listeners across the state and region. Basedin Concord, the state’s capital and political hub, NHPR’s newsroom, digital team and original programs consistently earn national recognition for their in-depth reporting and production. NHPR is the winner ofthe 2015 and 2017 national Edward R. Murrow Award for overall excellence.
- Maintain accurate financial and accounting records, including general ledger, subsidiary ledgers and chart of accounts, ensuring adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Perform month-end and year-end closes, including account reconciliations, revenue and expense recognition and subsystem reconciliation, ensuring accurate and timely presentation of financial results.
- Prepare complete financial statements and other reports for management, Board of Trustees, banks, regulatory agencies and funders.
- Oversee the development of multi-year operating, capital, project and grant budgets for recommendation to management and the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll, ensuring timely and accurate processing.
- Maintain accurate schedule of fixed assets, ensuring appropriate accounting treatment of new acquisitions and write offs of surplus assets. Provide regular and timely updates of fixed asset schedules to insurers, ensuring assets are adequately protected against loss.
- Prepare complete and accurate financial statements for the annual audit that are without material weaknesses or adjustments.
- Maintain accurate record of cash flow. Use historical and budget data to develop forward-looking cash flow models.
- Manage Finance and Accounting staff and budget.
- Develop and enforce financial controls and policies to ensure integrity of the organization’s financial position. Ensure compliance with donor, foundation and government requirements and conditions. Maintain documentation of policies and procedures, and recommend new ones as necessary.
- Administer and maintain accounting and budgeting software.
- Work with vendors to secure financial services as needed.
- Participate in station fundraising and sponsorship activities as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in accounting and finance, analysis and/or reportingexperience, preferably in the non-profit sector, including at least 3 years of financial management.
- Demonstrated experience managing accounting and budgeting processes adhering to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Keen analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing and developing staff.
- Expertise in developing multi-year budgets and forecasts.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, including spreadsheets and accounting software systems. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively to solve problems.
- Strong customer service orientation to work effectively with our listeners, supporters, volunteers and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or CPA preferred.