The Director of Corporate Communications develops, implements and maintains corporate communications strategies and supporting communications programs to further company objectives by establishing a positive image for the company among many key audiences.
This savvy media relations professional will guide financial media relations, business media relations, and reputation management to help the company achieve its 2020 Vision and bring WU Way to life.
The Director serves as the Company’s spokesperson on a regular basis, and is responsible for managing and developing the media relations team.
The leader provides expertise and strategic direction covering a broad cross-section of communications needs, including external communications (media relations), internal communications, executive communications (speechwriting), change management, and digital content (blogs).
This position reports to the Chief Communications Officer for Western Union.
The responsibilities of the Director, Corporate Communications include:
- Leader of the day-to-day media relations activities of Western Union, serving as a ready and available spokesperson on a wide range of topics and initiatives;
- Works closely with the outside external agency to influence news stories about the company and relevant issues, identifying proactive opportunities to elevate the company’s positioning;
- Manages a small team, and works collaboratively with colleagues around the world to ensure timely and thorough responses to the news media, as appropriate;
- Overseeing development of all corporate press releases, talking points, and related materials;
- Primary liaison to IR team, and leads growth strategy media planning. Develops an especially close daily working relationship with the company’s Investor Relations, Government Relations, and Foundation teams to effectively manage an ongoing speaker’s platform for the company;
- Managing preparation of the Company’s Annual Report and shareholder meeting presentations;
- Guides the development and execution of a thought leadership platform that solidifies the company as the leader in global, cross-border money transfer. Evaluates and manages all requests for external speaking opportunities for executives, as well as requests for interviews for books and other periodicals.
- Oversees the weekly editorial calendar for the company, directing the strategic positioning of announcements. This also includes managing the creation and dissemination of the content that tells this story, through channels including media relations, new media platforms and public and community affairs both in the US and internationally.
- Key spokesperson and strategist on crisis communications,
- Partnering with the Company’s Investor Relations unit to manage financial communications for quarterly earnings releases and investor presentations involving senior executives.
- Advising internal business partners to help ensure the alignment of business and consumer public relations strategies.
- Developing strategy for external speaking engagements for senior executives and managing a speakers’ bureau.
- Managing outside agency and consulting relationships, as necessary.
- Demonstrated success working with business reporters and editors;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong organizational, management and technical skills; and the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously.
- The candidate must be flexible and able to act quickly and confidently.
- Demonstrated ability to work with the Company’s top executives, including the CFO.
- Ability to understand and communicate the Company’s balance sheet, financial performance and business strategies.
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, motivating and mentoring a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage crisis situations.
- Experience with consumer brands preferred.
- Ability to travelrequired.
Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor’s degreerequired
- Proven track record (minimum of 10 years) in the field of corporate communications or agency experience, including direct experience working with a variety of news organizations, bloggers and media outlets.