The Controller must possess several key personal effectiveness traits to be successful. These include a high degree of passion for doing impactful work, accountability for actions, initiative make visions a reality, integrity that places honesty and trust above all else, professionalism, and conscientiousness. Actions and behaviors that are the foundation of successful careers at CLA are broadly defined below.
- Leading with Impact: Guides and motivates others and is able to direct team to achieve desired end results.
- Ownership Mindset: Creates expectations of success throughout the firm.
- Entrepreneurial Grit: Has the courage to take action on new ideas, understanding the balance of risks vs. positive outcomes.
- Client Excellence: Anticipates client needs and looks for opportunities to provide proactive consultation.
- People Development: Provides coaching opportunities for others to develop and pursue their passions.
- Clear Communication: Communication has high impact and encourages openness.
- Teamwork & Collaboration: Manages challenging issues and understands when appropriate to leverage internal experts.
- Growing the Business: Focuses efforts on managing work and key client relationships to exceed client expectations.
Required Experience & Education
- Experience: minimum seven years relative work experience as a Senior Staff Accountant, Controller, or equivalent for Controller work.
- Current or recent Investment Company / Fund accounting experience.
- Education: BA/BS degree in accounting or related field required.
- Certification: CPA preferred, not required.
- Experience with Yardi preferred, not required. Experience with Small Business Investment Companies (SBIC) desirable, not required.
Work Activities & Accountabilities
- Monthly/Quarterly financial preparation and review, which includes:
- Maintain/review the general ledger and various sub-ledgers
- Balance sheet reconciliations
- Investor allocation calculations
- Financial statement preparation
- Investor statement preparation
- Management of capital call and distribution processes and delivery
- Calculation of management fees, preferred returns and waterfalls
- Review fund agreements, PPMs, and other materials
- Manage and monitor the timing and quality of client deliverables
- Ability to operate within multiple software environments
- Act as liaison to various internal/external parties e.g. auditors, tax department
- Interact directly with CLA resources
- Communicate directly with investors on behalf of clients
- Provide technical accounting/industry knowledge to clients
- Coordinate onboarding with new clients
- Implementation of fund structures on accounting system
- Ad hoc reports and client requests as needed
- Train and support team members in their development
- Engage in local and national group projects