The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for all areas of fundraising, capital expansion plans, strategic planning, budget development, organizational development, program development, marketing and the overall image of the YMCA. This leader develops and maintains an inclusive culture that retains outstanding staff and active and diverse volunteer committees and board. The incoming CEO must possess strong business acumen as required to oversee an organization that serves more than 18,000 members, maintains an operational budget of approximately $11 million, and employs 500+ full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees at 3 branches and multiple program sites throughout Dane County. The CEO’s leadership team includes: CFO, VP Human Resources, VP of Mission Advancement, VP of Program Operations, and VP of Membership Operations & Strategic Partnerships.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Accredited 4-year college degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Social Services or related field (Master’s Degreepreferred).
- Demonstrated strategic planning and fundraising experience including annual campaign, capital campaign and the securing of grants.
- A proven track record of budgetary and fiscal management.
- Minimum of 10 years senior management experience or 5 years CEO experiencerequired. Previous YMCA or other community based organization experience not required.
- Proven operational excellence (preferably over multiple sites) at a comparable organization with direct supervision of multiple levels of staff and employees
- Proven ability to develop and strengthen community relationships.
- Experience developing, reviewing and enhancing programs that meet the needs of the communities we serve.
- Proven track record in engaging, developing, and retaining employees at all levels leading to organizational success.
- Proven leadership of Diversity and Inclusion strategies that embed equity and inclusion in branch operations and programming.
- Passion for, and personal values consistent with the YMCA mission.
The Position of CEO at the YMCA of Dane County:
- Advocates the YMCA Mission and Vision by actively engaging civic and community groups as well as local and state public officials to strengthen, protect and extend the image of the YMCA throughout the region.
- Builds and manages the staff team by encouraging teamwork, and fostering individual staff development throughout the association.
- Conservatively manages the YMCA’s finances, establishes and monitors the budget, controls costs, and ensures that operating strength is sustained.
- Continues to implement the Strategic Plan and properly engages all stakeholders, enlists the support from critical constituencies, addresses all critical challenges and embraces all communities served by the YMCA.
- Leads fundraising efforts and works with the Board to strengthen charitable giving.
- Establishes a culture of inclusion, integrity, character, and life-long learning within the YMCA by actively interacting with members, donors, volunteers and members of the community.
- Strengthens the volunteer boards and committees, and works with the Board Development Committee to evaluate the needs, strategic plan, key goals of the YMCA relative to the Board’s composition, and implements and maintains processes to recruit, train, and develop volunteers.
- Leads efforts to strengthen the YMCA’s culture of inclusion, ensuring that the YMCA’s staff, Board and membership reflect the communities served.
- Provides leadership and support to standing committees.
- Represents the YMCA in a positive and professional manner both inside and outside of the YMCA by exhibiting an enthusiastic, positive and well-motivated attitude that supports YMCA programs, mission and goals.
- Follows all YMCA policies and the YMCA Code of Conduct serving as role model to YMCA staff, members, volunteers, and the community.