What you’ll be doing...
Manager Wireline Audits is responsible for managing sales/use and gross receipts tax audits of select Verizon entities, an audit inventory and associated reserves. This position also partners with the Transaction Tax Reporting Group, Tax Legal and the Research and Planning Group on all technical matters to ensure that all deliverables are met. The ideal candidate should have a significant amount of audit, sales/use and gross receipts tax and leadership experience. The candidate should demonstrate the following skill(s): 1) ability to negotiate audit settlements, (2) ability to complete tax research, (3) demonstrate an understanding audit techniques (i.e., statistical sampling), (4) an ability to think analytically and strategically,(5) be proficient in analyzing and reconciling billing and accounts payable systems to the general ledger, (6) a strong knowledge of accounting for transaction taxes in accordance with FAS 5, (7) possess strong leadership and communication skills. An understanding or experience in the area of transaction taxes imposed upon telecommunications products, services, and the purchases by telecommunications companies would be beneficial.
- Responsible for managing assigned Wireline sales/use and gross receipts tax audits to yield best results for Verizon in the most efficient manner possible.
- Responsible for developing audit package and strategy to resolve audits. This will require the individual to meet with and present materials to auditors from taxing jurisdictions.
- Responsible for the identification and communication of issues to be resolved resulting from audit findings.
- Responsible for calculating, establishing and monitoring FAS 5 Reserves for Contingent Gains and Losses related to audits assigned. Strong tax audit skills, research skills, strategic thinking, sound judgement, negotiation and presentation skills are critical.
- Responsible for teaming and partnering with other tax groups in order to meet the goals of the tax department.
- Responsible for presenting audit profiles, exposures and other relevant audit developments to upper management.
What we’re looking for...
- 5-10 Years of tax experience with an emphasis on sales/use and gross receipts tax is required.
- A strong understanding of FAS 5 is required.
- Strong tax technical, research and analytical skills are required.
- Strong audit and accounting skills are critical.
- Proficiency in technological skills
- Practical experience in handling audits and balancing workloads and deliverables is imperative.
- Employee must be highly motivated and have the ability to drive assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Employee must have strong written and oral communication skills to partner effectively across the tax organization as well as presentation skills and the ability to present to upper management.
- Four year accounting degree required
- CPA and/or Masters in Taxation highly desired.
- Experience as an auditor for a taxing authority, experience in the sales/use and gross receipts tax field in Big 4 public accounting firms and/or Fortune 500 corporate tax departments is highly desired.