GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE:
The Accounting Manager is a key leader of the Fresh Pack Accounting Department at Dole Fresh Vegetables. This position supervises Staff Accountants and the Grower Accounting group and ensures that all critical processes in the department are met. These processes include the accounting close, implementing and maintaining internal controls to ensure company assets are adequately safeguarded, Cost Accounting, Inventory Control, Balance Sheet Reconciliations, Balance Sheet variance analysis and explanations, supervision of the Grower Accounting group, after-hours coverage for urgent matters, ensuring that accounting records are prepared in compliance with U.S. GAAP, as well as overseeing utilization of internally developed Mainframe and legacy J.D. Edwards systems. This position requires significant interaction with the Agricultural Operations Team, Finance staff, corporate staff and external auditors. This position requires demonstrated management experience and leadership capability as well as accounting and finance acumen.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
- Manage and participate in the monthly close process and other daily activities (e.g. preparation and review of journal entries, accruals, account reconciliations, and monthly financialreporting) of the supported departments and business units
- Drive the monthly close process of the supported departments and business units, ensuring the Company’s financial/accounting process is performed in a timely and accurate manner per the close calendar and according to US GAAP.
- Participate in the development of internal controls and Policies and Procedures
- Partner with other Finance/Accounting teams to ensure consolidated financials are complete and accurate, and accounting is consistent across entities
- Partner with and educate business owners, internal and external, to ensure accounting processes are complete, streamlined and scalable.
- Perform periodic reviews of financial processes and policies, including the use and implementation of internal controls
- Develop, coach and manage team of accounting personnel
- Review financial fluctuations on balance sheet and P&L accounts at business functional segment level and support variance analyses
- Forecast balance sheet of the supported departments and business units periodically to allow the General Ledger group to assess the working capital position by Corporate Consolidations
- Readily accepts new opportunities and takes appropriate actions to ensure the work is done; energizes team members to achieve timely results; sets expectations and empowers others to problem solve; demonstrates good judgment; facilitates successful and appropriate solutions
- Partner with Corporate staff to support external audit requirements for quarterly reviews and annual audits
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in Agricultural, distribution, and manufacturing operations is very helpful
- JD Edwards, AS400 experiencepreferred
- Supervisory or management experiencerequired.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel
- Experience with SOX compliant Internal Controls preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and a desire to assume new responsibilities
- Spanish language knowledge can be helpful given our international relationships.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Minimum 7 years progressive, related accounting management experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.