Waste Connections, Inc. (TSX/NYSE: WCN) is an integrated solid waste services company that provides waste collection, transfer, disposal and recycling services in mostly exclusive and secondary markets in the United States and Canada. Through its R360 Environmental Solutions subsidiary, Waste Connections is also a leading provider of non-hazardous oilfield waste treatment, recovery and disposal services in several of the most active natural resource producing areas in the United States, including the Permian, Bakken and Eagle Ford Basins. Waste Connections serves more than nine million residential, commercial, industrial, and exploration and production customers in 38 states in the U.S., and five provinces in Canada. The Company also provides intermodal services for the movement of cargo and solid waste containers in the Pacific Northwest. Waste Connections, Inc. was founded in September 1997. Its Principal Administrative Offices are located in The Woodlands, Texas, 30 miles north of Houston.
At Waste Connections, culture is a critical component of our success. To us, culture matters. Our 16,000 employees are more empowered and more engaged than ever before as we continue to grow both internally and through acquisitions. Our managers in the field operate within a relatively decentralized structure, but look to our corporate and administrative offices for certain centralized services, including legal advice and counsel. The Legal Department looks for individuals who embrace servant leadership, and who are equally comfortable drafting and negotiating a contract or socializing with colleagues after work.
A Day in the Life of an Associate Counsel at Waste Connections:
The Associate Counsel is a corporate generalist, able to provide a wide range of legal services and advice to various departments and business units throughout the organization.
- Providing legal services to various departments and business units with respect to a variety of transactional and commercial matters around the U.S., including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating customer contracts, franchise, collection, transportation and disposal agreements, master service agreements, information technology agreements, property and equipment leases and other commercial arrangements.
- Enforcing commercial and municipal contracts, including collection of past due amounts, pursuing and defending claims of tortious interference against and by competitors, pursuing claims against poachers and enforcing various contract provisions.
- Answering subpoenas, including requests related to employment records.
- Supporting merger and acquisition transactions, including due diligence, document preparation, closing mechanics and post-closing integration.
- Assisting with other disputes and litigation matters.
- Completing special projects as requested.
- Assisting with managing relationships and services of outside attorneys.
- J.D., excellent academic credentials.
- Active license to practice law in at least one state and active membership in good standing of the bar of at least one state.
- 3+ years of experience practicing corporate/commercial law in a major law firm or corporation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dynamic and team-oriented.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a strong ability to draft and review legal documents, and analyze and apply legal advice in a practical manner.
- Hard working, well-organized and detailed oriented. Must be able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters.
- Willingness to learn and advise in other general law subject matter areas as needed, including employment, OSHA, government contract and administrative law and compliance.